Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Who doesn't need a coffee break? A new linocut artwork to share

Rives cream color printmaking paper stock

After I printed the last linocut print on a nice cream colored paper, I was curious about that if I had more of this paper... And I discovered that I had bought a big batch of this paper at Pearl Paint, NYC about 18 years ago. What a stash! (It's a pity that fantastic art store is closed now) I searched "Rives" (see pic) which is the watermark on the corner of the sheet, Voila! It's made in France 100 % cotton rug, acid free and perfect for using printmaking. So, I decided to make more linocut prints. I already ordered printmaking inks and soft lino sheets which will be here in 10  days or so... In the mean time I am using my lino and black ink stock.

work in progress Playa del Burrero on landscapes sketchbook

The inspiration of my new linocut design came from a drawing I made on my sketchbook. I used  image of Playa del Burrero as the background and added a few elements which they were not in the composition, so this way I created an imaginary picture drawing.  A coffee maker, a coffee cup (pic below), a cupcake and the "Kitchen Stories" book. I shared the linocut printing process so you can have the idea of how it has been made. Each print is a unique handmade artwork. They are signed and numbered as they are limited edition prints. 

Design is transferred to linoleum

Carving the linoleum

Inking process

Pressing the paper with wooden spoon

Pulling the print

"Coffee break" by Birsen Ozbilge, 2016
Limited edition original linocut print 
(number 1 of edition of 25)
Paper size 7.5" x 11.75" ( 19 x 29.5 cm.)
Image size 5" x 9" (12.5 x 22 cm)

* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Click on comments to leave your opinion, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment