Thursday, April 21, 2016

New Soft Pastel set to work with...

New soft pastel set (left)

A few months ago I bought a soft pastel set to work with but I was short with pastel papers. Last week I found a very nice toned paper in the neighborhood art store. My first soft pastel artwork on this paper came out really good. The paper hold the pastel more than I thought. So, I am quite happy with the result. Especially because, I do not like to use pastel fixatives which make the pastel paintings look like dark and dull colored. (see finished artwork below) On the other hand the care of pastel without fixative is very fragile. It won't forgive any finger touch. That's why I leave a large unpainted area to hold the piece when safely keeping it ready for the frame work.

Work in progress


Neighbour's balcony, soft pastel on toned paper, 29 x 39,5 cm
Available on Etsy SHOP

*******************************************
The other day we were in the city to watch a wonderful musical documentary called "Playing Lecuona" about a famous Cuban pianist and composer. After the movie I decided to sketch a monumental sculpture of Benitez Pérez Galdós (1843- 1920) in front of the Opera house which named after him. He was most celebrated realist novelist and in Spain after Cervantes and many times some authorities considered his work as equal with Balzac, Dickens and Tolstoy. He was born in Gran Canaria and his house is a museum which is very close to the theater building.

Work in progress

Perez Galdos Sculpture in Las Palmas City, pencil on sketchbook


* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Click on comments to leave your opinion, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment