Saturday, May 7, 2016

A New Linocut Print for 7th Annual International "Print Day in May 2016" Event

Lagarto de Gran Canaria (Gallotia stehlini), Jardín Canario
Photo by Juan Emilio Juan Emilio Checa López

Today is 7th annual International "Print Day in May" event. Printmakers are making prints across the globe. So, I thought it will be better to take a break from the mosaic project, and share a linocut tutorial with you. First, I designed a small sketch and transferred it to the lino sheet (see pic below). This print will be an addition to "CactuSueños" painting series. Combining element to the cactus is a lizard. "Lagarto de Gran Canaria" (Gallotia stehlini), a characteristic animal of the island of Gran Canaria. It is the largest of the Canary Islands lizards, reaching up to 80 cm. in length, so it is also known as Gran Canaria Giant Lizard. (see pic above) This animal is a great help for the environment, because it is an omnivorous animal, which means it eats food of any kind, including hazardous animals and plants. 

Now, let me show you the process, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Have a great weekend! 

 I am transferring the mirrored design onto the lino sheet
( I posted the work-in-progress clip on instagram @birsenozbilge )

 I carved the outline first

 I am carving the details

I cut the top background part and finished carving  

 I placed the lino piece on template paper and put the ink on marble stone 

I mixed well the ink with the brayer, and inked the lino on the marble top and brought back to the template paper

I placed the paper and transferred the ink to the paper and pushed firmly all around the lino with the wooden spoon 

 Here is the proof print (test print). After seeing the proof, I carved a few more places 

"Cactus with lizard" by Birsen Ozbilge, 
Original Handmade Linocut Print
Paper size 6.5" x 9" ( 17 x 22 cm.)
Image size 4" x 6" (10 x 15 cm.)
Available, click on SHOP


* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Reply with a comment about this post.

*I send out an e-mail newsletter with free tips on art tecniques. 
#AkuaPD2016 , #SpeedballPD2016 or #ArnhemPD2016

No comments:

Post a Comment