Monday, May 2, 2016

A visit to Casa-Museo Antonio Padrón and a New Cactus Linocut Print

The other day, I was in Galdar, a small town at the northern part of Gran Canaria island. Right in the middle of the historic part of the town, there is a wonderful place called "Casa-Museo (House-Museum) Antonio Padrón". A famous Canarian artist, Antonio Padrón used to live and work in this beautiful Canarian style house (see pic below). Three years after his death in 1971, they converted the house into a museum and later on with the addition of a small extension building, this place turned into a house-museum. 

The artist Antonio Padrón was a painter, a ceramic maker, a sculpture artist and a compositor as well. He had a deep connection with his island, with its culture, folklore and traditions. His paintings considered as ethnic expressionistic style. He has done linocut print artworks, too. This place is a real gem! I really enjoyed visiting this talented painter's studio. When I saw his unfinished paintings, displayed on easels with his paint brushes and painting tubes, I felt like he is still working there... (see pic below)

Casa-Museo Antonio Padrón

Painter's studio

My favorite painting from the Antonio Padrón Collection

Also loved this still-life with pomegranates (by Antonio Padrón)

*******************************************

Last week, I worked on a new linocut print. I thought it would be nice to add a few more cactus related linocut prints to my "CactuSueños" painting series. After drawing the sketch, I started to carve out and made an additional bird figure. 

I sketched the design

After I transferred the mirrored image, started to carve outlines

This time I decided to cut out half  of the background.

I printed the proof and carved a few more parts. (See the finished print below)

Little birdy on cactus, by Birsen Ozbilge, 
Original handmade Linocut Print
Paper size 6.5" x 9" ( 17 x 22 cm.)
Image size 4" x 6" (10 x 15 cm.)
Available, click on SHOP



* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Reply with a comment about this post.

*I send out an e-mail newsletter with free tips on art tecniques. 


No comments:

Post a Comment