Monday, September 7, 2015

My first Moonrise painting en Plein Air with Oil Pastels

This weekend we went out to see the annual music festival in Burrero beach. First night I had chance to observe the sky. I saw the moonrise around 2:00 am and in about half an hour reached to its highest point. First few minutes had incredible view, as it looked like a slice of golden orange reflecting the light to the sea. The second night I was prepared for making a quick oil pastel sketch of the moonrise. I tried to paint as much as quick because almost every minute the view and light were changing. So at the end I made a quick sketch and later on added some details at the studio. I really liked working with night light en plain air, will try it again with other mediums. I used white watercolor cold press paper to  use the grain wholes leaving blank so they looked like the stars. Lots of blending with smudging tool. (see pic below)

work in progress with smudging tool

A September night at Playa del Burrero by Birsen Ozbilge, 
27,5 x 21 cm., Sakura Cray- Pas Expressionist oil pastels 
on Rembrandt pastel paper


Finally I finished editing "CactuSueƱos" Exhibition clip. I created cactus related paintings and mosaic artworks during the first 10 years of my residency in Canary Islands. It was an on and off project, in between I had other solo and collective shows. Anyways, If you haven't had chance to see this exhibition now you can enjoy it! The exhibition held by the art gallery of University of Las Palmas for a month and a half last year in February. 53 pieces of artworks and a video installation exhibited. 
(see full exhibition pdf e-book at my website under media/press section) If you are interested in with any of these artworks, please e-mail me. (click at contact

CactuSueƱos Exhibition clip, click on image to watch

Have a great week!

* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Click on comments to leave your opinion, thanks.

* Join to my weekly newsletter mailing list.

No comments:

Post a Comment