Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Lead Girl with Canarian Timple Guitar and Homage to Jose Antonio Ramos

My latest mosaic project finally formed on a sketch paper. In this mosaic painting I will be using one of my famous characters; "The Lead Girl"  from my early works. Unfortunately she didn't get much attention back then... I think it is time to bring her back and let people to enjoy her adventures.

The Lead Girl, Ink on paper, 15 x 22.5 cm., 1996

She loves music and always curious about the beauty of the nature. Well, as you see the sketch below, she sits and plays a Timple (5 string Canarian folk guitar) at the peaks of Gran Canary Island. On the far background, "El Teide", the highest mountain of Spain and right in the middle of the view, the emblematic rock form; "Roque Nublo" of Gran Canaria. This area called "La Cumbre" (about 2000 mt height) covered by Canarian pine trees and famous with almond trees. Every year in month of February, the village of Tejeda celebrates "Festival Flor de Almendra". It's a lovely cultural event. There is a little bird on the almond tree branch of   the left part of the painting. This bird is typical from this area as well, called "pinzón azul". 

Sketch for "The Lead Girl with Timple"

Preparing the big sketch paper

The next step is transferring the small sketch to the original size paper and select the vitreous glass colours. Once decision made, I can lay the mesh and start gluing the vitreous glass pieces on it. This will be the most time consuming part. Afterwards, I will seal the wood surface with water diluted PVC glue. Next is setting the grout with mesh and mosaic... I will take more pictures and you will see the process better...

**  **  ** **  **  ** **  **  ** **  **  **
I want to share with you a YouTube clip of Jose Antonio Ramos, a Canarian Timple player. Born Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in 1969, he died in June 4th of 2008. He introduced the timple, a folk instrument, in other music styles, as celtic or rock, working with artists as Carlos Núñez, Kepa Junkera, Pedro Guerra, Rosana, Orquesta Filarmónica de Gran Canaria, Mestisay, Los Sabandeños, The Chieftains, and Andreas Prittwitz...


JOSE ANTONIO RAMOS EL QUINTO GIGANTE



Click on ITunes button to buy the album "Los Cuatro Gigantes. Timple Canario - José Antonio Ramos"




"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." Plato

Have a great week!


* Click on the images to see them larger.
* Click on comments to leave your opinion, thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Birsen,
    I've been following your blog for a while and I would like to tell you how much I enjoyed your artwork. They are truely beautiful and coming from your heart with love. I was wondering, how can I purchase your artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniela, thanks for your nice comments. I am glad you enjoyed it. Creativity is giving me my purpose of existance in this world. I would like to help you of course. Please e-mail me through my website's contact section at http://www.birsenozbilge.com

    ReplyDelete