Friday, July 15, 2016

Paintings from my neighborhood "El Burrero"


From "El Burrero" paintings

The very first time, about 13 years ago, I visited and immediately fell in love with El Burrero, a little coastal town in Gran Canaria. Over the years since we know this place, its population didn't grow that much, it has a few more new houses and same number of services. It's still one off the beaten paths of the island. Heaven for windsurfers but maybe its special strong windy condition is not for everyone. Last 5 years we have been fortunate to live close to this place, just 15 minutes walk from our place.

Since we move to this area, I have been sketching and painting seascapes of El Burrero. Recently, I created a short slide show with some of my finished artworks and their work in progress images. I am planning to paint more of El Burrero seascapes and try to exhibit them in the future... A few pieces from these series already found their new home. I am thankful for that and any kind of support, encouragement for helping me to do my job. Now, sit back and enjoy the slide show below (if you have difficulties viewing the video click on https://youtu.be/d7oUeWRW7FU )

"El Burrero Paintings" slide show video clip, 2:50 min

Last week we went to visit our friends at El Burrero. After the lunch, I worked on a sunset seascape oil pastel painting looking at the view from the kitchen window which is my favorite spot to work (see pic below).

I used Cray- Pas Expressionist 50 color oil pastel set on aa acid free heavy weight craft paper. I am experimenting this combination for a while and getting very good results for being able to apply more layers of colors. Also, I painted some parts not totally covered using cool tones over warm, to show some brown paper which created an interesting optical illusion for the sea (See the finished work below pic). 

work in progress

It may be hard to see in the small image but there are a few fishermen in the rock form. Click on the image below and see if you can locate them. Enjoy the weekend!

"Sunset in El Burrero" by Birsen Ozbilge, 
Oil Pastel on acid free heavy-weight craft paper,
 24 x 32 cm,  2016
Available, contact me for purchase details

* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Reply with a comment if you liked this.

* Join to my weekly newsletter mailing list.

No comments:

Post a Comment