Monday, March 2, 2015

How to get perfect view spot for plein air painting

If you live in a big city try to go outskirts of the city where you can find the peaceful recreational park areas. When I used to live in New York City I used go to The Wave Hill, mostly on my midweek off days, Or to The Cloister. In the early 90's when I was giving plein air classes at Bogazici University we were working from the famous Turkish poet Tevfik Fikret's house called "Asiyan". So find your secret spot I suggest go with other painters. It will give you good encouragement or with your loved ones. They might like to read or listen music and disconnect also.

Winsor & Newton travel watercolor box set.

On Friday, We went to the coast for about an hour, I took advantage of being at outdoors worked on a plein air painting with my watercolors. I had a perfect spot for viewing the fishermen by the edge of the bay where you can see on the painting. I used a limited palette (brown, blue, green and white) without complicating the scene. It was around 6:00 pm, so I had just enough time to finish the painting before sun went down behind the mountain.

Work in progress , Tufia, Gran Canaria

Signing the finished artwork just before pressing process

Pressing the watercolor under the books overnight

Ready to archive into my Frick Collection portfolio (I used to work there in NYC)


Fishermen in Tufia by Birsen Ozbilge, 2015
Watercolor on paper, 9,6" x 7,4" (24.5 × 19 cm.)


Have a wonderful week!

* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Click on comments to leave your opinion, thanks.

* Follow me @ my new Instagram Page

No comments:

Post a Comment