Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mosaic Tutorial: Cutting tools (Part 2)

After a busy week, I finally finished the cutting and pasting process. Previously, I shared the mosaic project's set up, so if you have missed that newsletter, visit it here: Mosaic tutorial: "A view to Bentayga" (Part I).

Most of the tools and some of the tiles are kept in a box which I recycled from an old wine box. Inside this box I placed a plactic kitchen drawer tray to separate the tile colors. Some other tile chips are sorted in another tool box with plastic drawers. (See pic. below) Also, I keep the tiles in jars. For the used tiny chips I use kitchen roll sheets.

Mosaic tiles and tools

Tile cutting nippers have variareties. I recommend to have two types. From left to right on the picture below; 1) a wheeled nipper (see at Amazon.com) which is good for creating round and irregular shapes , 2) a regular tile nipper ( see at Amazon.com). 3) Also a flat nose plier (easy to find in your local hardware shop), for taking out unwanted dry glue from the tile. 4) A tweezer to hold the small chips to place in the hole. 5) A metal thin stick to arrange the tiles.

Tools to create mosaics

6) On top of the picture a water based strong white glue (I use Weldbond brand see at Amazon.com). 7) A brush to clean and 8) a safety glasses while cutting the chips. It's very very important, do not be lazy to put them on, because your fun mosaic project might end up with a painful and tragic event. Even if you use regular glasses, use them together always while you cut the tiles, it will save your eyes from those dangerous tiny glass chips. (Also when people near the mosaic, do not cut tiles, they jump far)

Detail

I use mostly vitreous glass mosaic tiles (see pic above). I purchased the tiles online long time ago in the United States and brought them to the Canary Islands. It was a big set of colors in sheets. They also sell already cut tiles of the same or mixed colors. If you cannot find these kind of tiles, try colored glass sheets. You can cut them with a glass cutter or hammer them for irregular shapes. You can use broken plates, cups, and ceramic tiles as well. I shared a small clip about how to cut the vitreous tiles, click to see @birsenozbilge (goes to my instagram)

Work in progress

Ready for grouting

In tutorial 3 I will show grouting materials and the first phase of the grouting process. Please, reply me if you have any questions or post in the comment box. Have a great week!


* Click on the images to see them larger.

* Reply with a comment about this post.

*I send out an e-mail newsletter with free tips on art tecniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment